Rooftop Garden
Above Booth’s and Rice’s shops on King Street (seen here c.1900) was a rooftop garden - part of the extended grounds to Green Hall, a Strutt mansion further up the street.
Green Hall had been built in 1810 at the time of Jedediah Strutt II’s marriage to Susannah Walker. Gardens belonging to a Mr Radford were bought on both sides of King Street. Once the house was built on the north side, there was little room left for gardens by the house, so they were extended out above these shops, creating a rooftop garden that wasn’t accessible to the people living below.
John Booth was a glass and china dealer, whilst Walter Rice was a fruiterer. The cart is standing outside Thomas Edwards’ newsagents. By 1922, Booth’s had gone and Rice had extended into the neighbouring shop.